The Bendigo Council announced today that a statue local Mayor and legend Rod Fyffe will replace Marilyn Monroe statue when the Marilyn exhibition finishes in July.
Bruce Hogwood from the Bendigo Art Gallery said “Rod Fyffe is the perfect person to replace Marilyn. We wanted to bring his bigger than life personality to life – literally and physically.”
Bendigo Art Gallery will also open the ‘Life Of Rod’ Exhibit dedicated to the life and times of Rod as a celebration of a man who broke the Guinness Book Of World Records for ‘Most times a Mayor’. Rod’s is currently in his forth stint as mayor.
The hair of the Rod Fyffe statue will be approximately 90 metres in diameter and double as a cover from the rain. It will be made from genetically modified Alpaca’s which have been certified by the RSPCA.
The ‘Life of Rod’ exhibition will contain authentic artifacts, clothing and other objects belonging to, or worn by Rod and will include:
- 3 of Rod’s Mayoral robes
- Autographed photo’s of Rod with well known celebrities such as Elvis, Steve Irwin, Matt Preston, Bruce McAvaney, Kurt Cobain and Michael Jackson
- Rod’s hair from his childhood which measured 1.2 metres
- Michael Jackson’s glove
- Rod’s collection of Kidney Stone Jewelry
- Garry Ablett snr’s right shoe from his first ever AFL game for Geelong.
- A used coffee cup owned by Elise Chapman
- And much more
Other candidates for the statue included Claude, Peter Cox, Elise Chapman and a Hipster Drinking a $30 Coffee.
Readers can win tickets to the opening night of the Life of Rod exhibit by mailing 50 Coca-Cola bottle labels to the Bendigo Standard office in Park Lane Bendigo (Down the road from Pall Mall next to Aldi).